Kennesaw State University
May 2015-present: College of Humanities and Social Sciences Office of Distance EducationDevelop, design, and implement faculty development workshops for online learning, course development, and instructional technology. Peer review new online courses and 3-year re-review courses according to the Quality Matters online course assessment rubric. Hold faculty one-on-one sessions for online course help. Provide technical support for faculty developing online courses. Design and manage website for instructional technology resources. Supervise, train, and mentor student intern.
- Staff Member of the Year: Outstanding Team Member Award, 2017
- Distance Learning Administration Wagner Award: Pearson Outstanding Instructional Support, 2016
- Online Learning Consortium Award for Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching, Novemner 2015
- Developer and trainer, "Build a Web Course Workshop: Summer Edition." College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Summer 2017-present.
- Trainer and co-developer, "Advanced Skills Updated Workshop." College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Fall 2015-present.
- Co-developer, "Skills Update Workshop." College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Summer 2013-present.
- Co-trainer, "Build a Web Course Workshop." College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Spring 2013-present.
- Trainer, "MediaSpace Brown Bag." College of Humanities and Social Sciences. March 2, 2018.
- Guest trainer, "Assessment in D2L." Wellstar College of Health and Human Services. May 23, 2017.
- Guest trainer, "Assessment in D2L." Wellstar College of Health and Human Services. May 19, 2016.
- "Breaking the Stigma: Faculty and Student Perceptions and Experiences with OER." Open Education Global Conference Annual Proceedings, April 2018.
- “Open Educational Resources: a Cost and Copyright Analysis.” Distance Learning Administration Conference Annual Proceedings, June 2016.
- Sexy Technical Communication. with Tamara Powell, Jonathan Arnett, Monique Logan, and Cassandra Race. Online. June 2016.
- “Advanced Faculty Professional Development for Online Course Building: An Action Research Project.” Internet Learning Journal 4.2 (2015): 103-118. with Griselda Thomas, Vanessa Slinger-Friedman, Chris Randall, Philip Aust, Joe Terantino, and Tamara Powell.
Grants ($106,350 total)
- Principle investigator, instructor of record, and instructional designer, 2018 Affordable Learning Georgia Textbook Transformation Mini-Grant $4,800 for Sexy Technical Communication update with Tamara Powell and Jennifer Nguyen.
- Principle investigator and instructional designer, 2018 Affordable Learning Georgia Textbook Transformation Grant $30,000 for development of Open GEOG 1101 & 1102 for use with Introduction to Human Geography (GEOG 1101) and Earth from Above (GEOG 1102) courses with Vanessa Slinger-Friedman, Ulrike Ingram, and Jason Rhodes.
- Principle investigator and instructional designer, 2017 DOER Fellowship $750 for development of open activities for use with OpenStax Biology with Martiana Sega.
- Principle investigator and instructional designer, 2017 Affordable Learning Georgia Textbook Transformation Grant $30,000 for development of Open Comp-Owl-Sition for use with Composition I and II (ENGL 1101 and 1102) with Patrice Brown, Bridget Doss, Amelia Lewis, and Laura Howard.
- Co-principle investigator and instructional designer, 2015 Affordable Learning Georgia Textbook Transformation Grant $30,000 for Sexy Technical Communication with Tamara Powell, Jonathan Arnett, Monique Logan, and Cassandra Race.
- Co-principle investigator and instructional Designer, 2015 Affordable Learning Georgia Textbook Transformation Grant $10,800 for an online course development for the Sociology OpenStax textbook with Daniel Farr.
- Presenter, "Faculty and Student Experiences with OER at KSU." 2018 Symposium for Part-Time, Adjunct, and Contingent Educators, Atlanta, GA, June 9, 2018. Presentation.
- Presenter, "Breaking the Stigma: Faculty and Student Perceptions and Experiences with OER." Open Education Global Conference, Delft, The Netherlands, April 26, 2018. Paper. Presentation.
- Invited Speaker, "KSU OER and the Stuff We Can Learn from Them." KSU Textbook Affordability Conference, Kennesaw, Ga, April 12, 2018. Presentation.
- Panelist, "'USS Callister': Ethics, Bioethics, and Intertextuality." Kennesaw State University OwlCon, Kennesaw, GA, March 17, 2018. Presentation.
- Presenter, "MOOCs, MAFFs (Massive and Face to Face), and In Between: The Whys and Hows of Large Enrollment Courses." Online Learning Consortium Innovate Conference, New Orleans, LA, April 7, 2017. Presentation.
- Panelist, "Teaching in the Digital Age." Southeastern Women's Studies Association Conference, Atlanta, GA, March 25, 2017.
- Presenter, "What Does The Research Say?: The Essentials of OER." The Unconference: KSU's Online Learning Day, Kennesaw, GA. February 24, 2017. Presentation.
- Presenter, "Campfire Talk: What Can We Really Do With Smore?" Georgia Educational Technology Conference, Atlanta, GA. November 3, 2016. Resources.
- Presenter, "Open Educational Resources: a Cost and Copyright Analysis." Distance Learning Administration conference, Jekyll Island, GA. June 20, 2016. Paper. Presentation.
- Awardee and presenter, "A Passion for OER Advancement." Distance Learning Administration conference awards reception, Jekyll Island, GA. June 19, 2016. Video.
- Discussion leader, "Distance Learning at KSU." Higher Education eDesign Association ThinkTank conference, Washington, DC. April 8, 2016. Breakout Notes.
- Presenter, "Creating and Incorporating OERs." Design Matters web event by Affordable Learning Georgia, Online. March 23, 2016. Presentation. Video.
- Hostess, "Student Panel." The Unconference: KSU's Online Learning Day, Kennesaw, GA. March 4, 2016. Presentation.
- Presenter, "Sexy Technical Communication." Reimagining the Textbook by Affordable Learning Georgia, Macon, GA. February 19, 2016. With Tamara Powell and Jonathan Arnett. Presentation.
- Presenter, "Shared Experiences and Common Goals: Teaching Online Around the World." Online Educa Berlin, Berlin, Germany. December 4, 2015. With Tamara Powell, Alexandra Mihai, Jeannette Schmid, Vanessa Slinger-Friedman, and Stephen Bartlett. Resources.
- Presenter, "Gratuit! Open Educational Resources in Foreign Language Education," Georgia Educational Technology Conference, Atlanta, GA. November 5, 2015. Resources.
Other Related Work
- Co-instructor, "Writing Professional Memos and Emails," Coursera Project-Based MOOC, February 2016-present.
- Developer, Office of Distance Education Resources Toolbox Website, January 2013-present.
- Producer, Online Geography Promotional Video, Department of Geography and Anthropology, November 2016.
- Producer, Dawn Davenport—What Do You Look for in Technical Writers? for Sexy Technical Communication.
- Photographer, Sheriff Neil Warren Criminal Justice Endowed Scholarship Signing, Department of Criminal Justice, Kennesaw State University, March 2016.
- Quality Matters Certified Master Reviewer
- Quality Matters Certified Peer Reviewer
- QM Rubric Update Sixth Edition (RU). Quality Matters. Online. June 2018.
- Master Reviewer Recertification (MRR). Quality Matters. Online. April 2018.
- Articulate Storyline Advanced Training. Sterling Ledet & Associates, Inc. Face-to-face. May 2017.
- Articulate Storyline Training. Sterling Ledet & Associates, Inc. Face-to-face. May 2017.
- Exploring Digital Storytelling. Online Learning Consortium. Online. March 2017.
- Creating Effective Presentations. Online Learning Consortium. Online. March 2017.
- Master Reviewer Course (MRC). Quality Matters. Online. October 2016.
- Exploring e-Portfolios. Online Learning Consortium. Online. August 2016.
- Dealing with Difficult People. Kennesaw State University Center for University Learning. Face-to-face. August 2016.
- Exploring App Smashing. Online Learning Consortium. Online. July 2016.
- Peer Reviewer Course (PRC). Quality Matters. Online. July 2015.
- Applying the QM Rubric (APPQMR). Quality Matters. Online. June 2015.
Leadership & Involvement
- March 2018-present, Communications Committee Chair, Staff Senate, Kennesaw State University
- July 2017-present: Senator, Staff Senate, Kennesaw State University
- February 2017-present: Conference Chair, The Unconference: KSU’s Online Learning Day
- October 2016-present: Master Reviewer, Quality Matters
- May 2015-present: Peer Reviewer, Quality Matters
- November 2015-June 2017: Professional development committee member, UPCEA eDesign Collaborative
- January 2015-February 2017: Conference Planning Committee member, The Unconference: KSU’s Online Learning Day
- June 2013-August 2015: Web designer, Seeds of Knowledge Global Library
Part-Time Instructor of Technical Communication
August 2017-present: TCOM 2010 Technical Writing
The course is an introduction to organization, style, and mechanics of technical writing. It includes practice in writing such typical documents as technical descriptions, instructions, proposals, and recommendation reports. Emphasis is placed on incorporating rhetorical theory into planning, organizing, and writing reports; designing visual aids; and editing. Among other assignments, at least one complete technical report is required. Taught face-to-face.
January 2018-present: TCOM 3030 Instructional Design
The course introduces and applies systematic instructional design and instructor-led training. Students study a major model of instructional design and apply it to develop and refine a unit of instruction. Students prepare and deliver a training lesson, participate in team instructional design activities, and evaluate the training developed and presented by other students. Taught hybrid.